Traveling over from Flores to Bali by bus
West Flores (Labuan Bajo) – Sumbawa (Bima) – Lombok (Mataram) – Denpasar (Bali)
A ferry sails from Labuan Bajo, West Flores to Sape, Sumbawa Island , a trip taking 8 hours. A small public mini bus will bring you from Sape to the bus station in Bima, a trip of about 2 hours. From there change to a larger public bus destined to Lombok or Bali. The ferry from Alas, Sumbawa to Labuhan Lombok, Lombok takes 1.5 hours and the ferry from Lembar, Lombok to Padang Bai, Bali takes 4 hours. Arriving in Bali at Padang Bai Padangbai you can board a public bus for Denpasar (1-2 hours).
Please note that the route between Sape and Bima in eastern Sumbawa is perhaps the most tiring part of this journey. You may want to consider hiring a vehicle for the trip from Sape to Bima. Purchase a ferry ticket to Sape at the harbor of Labuan Bajo in West Flores. Rent a car in Sape to enjoy a more relaxing trip to Bima. In Bima there is a large selection of good bus company traveling on to Lombok and Bali.
Some Bus Companies have representative offices in Labuan Bajo where direct bookings can be made.
The overland route from Maumere, Flores (Nusa Tenggara Timur) to Denpasar Bali.
For more information on sea transports
- Ferry connections and schedule
- Tour operators in West Flores and Bali
- Bus companies in West Flores
Within Flores there are a number of private or public options for overland travel. West Flores is the perfect starting or ending point for an overland journey in Flores. For information on renting a car with driver and guide or for more information on public transport, contact a West Flores tour or transport operator.
Private car rental
General Information - Overland travel opportunities within FloresPrivate Transport Providers:
- Fix route and schedule
- Non stop express routes
- Pick-up and trop off passenger at departure/arrival address
Private car rental
- For individual travel within Flores
- Per day rates; bargain is common
- Trans Flores route are possible. Some drivers are also familiar with Bima-Sumbawa, Lombok and Bali route
- The most enjoyable way to see Flores is with a private rental car with an English speaking guide
- For traveling from one town to another
- Departure and arrival on the public bus stations
- Generally exact schedules are not available with busses departing once all seats are occupied